The objective of this art competition is to raise awareness in the schools about the non-native Indo-Pacific lionfish and the far-reaching effects they have on our marine environment. The lionfish is edible once the poisonous spines are carefully removed. They are delicious to eat and nutritious. One major way to control their numbers is to learn more about them and to become their predator! For this competition, we invite students to design a poster showing the beauty of the lionfish, the effects it has on marine life, and how their numbers can be controlled.
COMPETITION RULES FOR AGE:
CATEGORIES 5-8 :: 9-13 :: 14-18
- To be eligible your artwork should be no smaller than 11″x 11″ and no larger than 18″x18″. Ensure that the entry is in a ‘portrait’ layout.
- One entry per student is permitted.
- The entry can be a painting or a drawing, using pencil-crayons, markers, water colours or airbrush.
- The following information should be clearly included at the back of the entry: “Antigua Barbuda Lionfish Derby Schools Art Competition”; Name; age; school; contact information; artist signature (if any). Please do not write any of this information on the front of the entry.
All artwork must be submitted to one of the following locations by 4:00 pm on Friday November 18th, 2022:
- Antigua and Barbuda Hotels and Tourism Association, Island House, Newgate Street
- Ministry of Tourism, Government Complex, Parliament Drive
- Antigua and Barbuda Tourism Authority, upstairs ACB Building, High Street
JUDGING AND PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD
A six-member panel of judges will review and judge artwork entries. The judges’ decision will be final. Judging will close on Wednesday TBD and winners will be announced on Monday TBD. All Entries will be uploaded (by age category) to the Antigua Barbuda Lionfish Derby Facebook page between Monday TBD and Thursday TBD. All entrants will be asked to promote the Derby’s page and their artwork with their family and friends. The students (in the respective age categories) with the highest number of interactions (likes, comments, shares) will win. Voting opens on Monday TBD and closes at 12:00 noon on Friday TBD.
ALL ENTRIES WILL BE DISPLAYED AT THE 1ST EVER ANTIGUA BARBUDA LIONFISH DERBY, TBD.
For further information contact Kessa Stevens 468-4008 or Melville Richardson 468-3024